When an outage occurs, KUB immediately begins outage assessment. KUB cannot respond to every outage at once, so it categorizes the size of the outage and services impacted to create the most effective and efficient plan. During a typical outage, KUB will determine the order of restoration in the following sequence.
- Critical system loads that include communications systems, water/wastewater pump stations, hospitals, and other services vital to public welfare.
- Transmission lines (the backbone of the electric system) serving larger numbers of customers.
- Substation equipment that can impact large numbers as well.
- Distribution lines serving subdivisions, large housing areas, and commercial areas.
- Service lines and transformers that serve small numbers of customers.
- Service lines and transformers serving individual customers.