Although electricity was available in Knoxville as early as 1898, few people could afford it. Many families living around Knoxville still relied on kerosene lanterns and wood stoves until the late 1930s or early 1940s.
Knoxville's citizens voted in 1938 to form a public utility to bring affordable power to the community. The resulting Knoxville Electric Power and Water Board (renamed Knoxville Utilities Board in 1947) began providing electricity and water in 1939. It added gas service in 1945 and acquired wastewater service from the City of Knoxville in 1987.
Much has changed since KUB was established in 1939, but our commitment to our customers and community is still strong. As we look to the future, we are dedicated to being good stewards of our utility systems and our ratepayers’ dollars—and to meeting our customers’ changing needs. We are grateful to be your hometown utility, providing electric, gas, water, and wastewater service. We look forward to continuing to help our community grow and be a great place to live.
For a deeper look into KUB's history, click here.