Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause illness or even death. It is created when common fuels (such as natural gas, propane, gasoline, etc.) do not properly combust and build up in a confined space. It is important for your health and safety to make sure your natural gas appliances are properly maintained and operated by having them cleaned and/or inspected once a year by a certified natural gas contractor, HVAC technician, or other trained and qualified professional.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors
- Have your natural gas appliances cleaned and/or inspected once a year by a certified natural gas contractor, HVAC technician, or other trained and qualified professional
- Keep the area around your appliances clear of blockages
- Do not use generators indoors. Use them in a well-ventilated area outdoors away from windows, doors, or vented openings.
- Do not use gas or charcoal grills indoors
Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Shortness of break
- Decreased consciousness
What to do if you suspect carbon monoxide build up:
- Exit the building
- Call 911