KUB sells State Electrical Permits for addresses in the county (Knox County and outlying counties that are in KUB’s service area). Permits are not issued through KUB for addresses within the City of Knoxville. The City of Knoxville issues permits within the city limits.
To obtain an Electrical Permit from KUB
If you have a valid state electrical license, you may purchase a permit using one of the following options:
- Visit the State of Tennessee’s permit site at core.tn.gov (Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
- Call the State of Tennessee’s permit office at 615-741-7170 (Available Monday – Friday 7:00-4:30 CST)
- Visit the KUB Customer Service Center, located at 4428 Western Avenue, between 7:30 AM – 12:00 PM, Monday-Thursday
- Call the KUB permit desk at 865-558-2564 between 7:30 AM – 12:00 PM Monday – Thursday
- Mail the permit application form, a copy of your electrical license, a check or money order made payable to KUB and a self-addressed stamped envelope to the following address:
Knoxville Utilities Board, Attention: State Electrical Permit, 4428 Western Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37921.
To receive a copy of the electrical permit, you must include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- Pre-approved licensed electricians may request a permit by calling (865) 558-2564 or by faxing (865) 558-2215 with the appropriate information between 7:30AM - 4:00PM, Monday - Friday. Please allow one business day to process permit requests. Requests received on Friday will be written on Monday, or the next business day.
Homeowners may purchase a permit using one of the following options:
- Online by visiting core.tn.gov
- Call the State Permit Office at 615-741-7170
- Visit the KUB Customer Service Center located at 4428 Western Avenue between 7:30 AM – 12:00 PM Monday – Thursday
State of Tennessee Electrical Permit Fees
Current pricing for electrical permits is subject to change as directed by the State of Tennessee. KUB charges a $5 handling fee per electrical permit. Each service address must have a separate permit.
|From 0 - 30 amp srvice||$35|
|From 31 - 60 amp service||$35|
|From 61 - 200 amp service||$35|
|From 201 - 400 amp service||$40|
|From 401 - 600 amp service||$50|
|From 601 - 1,000 amp service||$90|
You must contact the appropriate State Electrical Inspector when you are ready for an inspection. Inspectors are available to schedule inspections Monday - Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.
|State Electrical Inspectors|
|For South and West Knoxville, Seymour, Powell, Karns, Anderson and Blount counties||
|For North and East Knoxville, Kodak, Union, Grainger, and Jefferson counties||865-558-2504|
For each rough-in inspection — $35
Inspection of a dwelling unit’s heating and/or cooling system — $35
Reinspection based on rejection of a 1-1,000 ampere capacity — $35
Call (865) 558-2555 for more information regarding electrical permits through KUB. Electric, gas, and plumbing permits for the City of Knoxville are available at:
The City/County Building
400 Main Street Room 505
Knoxville, TN 37902
Gas Permits for the City of Farragut are available at:
11408 Municipal Center Dr
Farragut, TN 37922