Knoxville Utilities Board
AutoPay ACH Payment Terms and Conditions Payment Obligations –
AUTOPAY: By enrolling in the AutoPay program, you are authorizing Knoxville Utilities Board (KUB) to automatically withdraw (ACH debit) the total amount due on your monthly billing statement from your financial institution (“bank”) account, as specified above. KUB will make the withdrawal, on or around the Due Date shown on your bill. If necessary, KUB will initiate adjustments for any transactions in error. If the withdrawal date falls on a weekend or holiday when KUB is not open for business, the payment will be withdrawn the next business day. KUB shall have no liability should your bank refuse to accept the ACH debit or for the quality of services provided by your bank in connection with this service.
By enrolling in this program, you agree and consent to the following:
• Cancelation Notice: You have the right to withdraw from the AutoPay program at any time. To withdraw, call KUB Customer Service, use the KUB website, or write to KUB Payment Processing [see Contact Us below]. If you withdraw, payments that are scheduled but which have not yet been remitted to your bank for withdrawal will be canceled, and you will be responsible for remitting payment for the balance to KUB. Payments which have already been remitted to your bank for withdrawal cannot be canceled, regardless of whether or not the payment has occurred at your bank.
• Canceling a Payment: To cancel an AutoPay withdrawal, you will need to notify KUB at least 2 business days before the transaction is scheduled to be made. When you cancel a payment, your AutoPay program enrollment will remain active and in effect, unless KUB receives a cancellation notice as described above. Every effort will be made to honor requests. You may cancel your monthly payment twice in a 12-month period, but not two months consecutively. If you cancel your monthly payment two months consecutively or more than twice in a 12-month period, KUB will remove your account from the AutoPay program. Once removed, you must wait 12 months before re-enrolling.
• Changes to Bank Information: If you need to update your checking or savings account information, you must either mail us a voided check for the new account or update your banking information online at our website, www.kub.org. Your bank information will be updated within 2 business days after receipt by KUB; however, any previously scheduled draft will not be updated to reflect the new banking information. You must contact KUB Customer Service to request the banking information be updated on a previously scheduled draft.
• Scheduling AutoPay Payments: AutoPay payments are scheduled to draft on your due date at the time your bill is generated within KUB’s system. As such, changes to bank information or adjustments made to the account balance after the payment is scheduled will not affect a draft that has been previously scheduled but not yet remitted to your bank. All changes to your account will be reflected when the next bill is generated.
• Returned Payments: Any payment returned to KUB as uncollectible by your bank will result in a returned item fee on your KUB account, and the returned payment plus the fee will be deducted from your bank account with the next scheduled automatic payment. If a second payment is returned to KUB within 12 months, KUB will immediately remove your account from the AutoPay program.
• Discontinuation of Service: Discontinuation of utility service does not cancel your enrollment in AutoPay. You must follow the deactivation procedures above to terminate this program.
• Termination: Participation is optional. KUB reserves the right to discontinue accepting AutoPay payments at any time, for any reason, without prior written notice. KUB may send notification of termination of AutoPay anytime after the termination is effective. If KUB terminates, KUB will not accept payment and debit requests. KUB also may temporarily discontinue accepting AutoPay payments, with our sole discretion. Termination does not affect your rights and obligations for AutoPay payments prior to termination.
Unauthorized Use – If you think your bank account has been accessed without your permission, contact us immediately by calling or writing us at the telephone number or address provided in the Contact Us section. You should also contact your financial institution. Call us immediately if any unauthorized payments appear on your bank account statement.
Statement of Liability and Hold Harmless and Indemnification
Except as provided elsewhere in these Terms and Conditions, if KUB fails to complete a withdrawal on time or in the correct amount, KUB will pay for any fees or charges imposed by your financial institution that result from our error. Exceptions: (1) if through no fault of ours, you do not have enough money in or sufficient credit available on your account to make your payment; (2) transfer of money from your bank/card account is restricted; (3) the AutoPay/SelectPay system was not working; (4) circumstances beyond our control prevent payment despite reasonable precautions. Our liability is limited by those damages actually caused. KUB is not liable if (1) you fail to use the AutoPay/SelectPay program properly; or (2) you do not request or otherwise initiate a recurring or one-time payment sufficiently in advance of your payment due date; or (3) your financial institution refuses to honor the debt; or (4) your instructions are lost or delayed in transmission to us; or (5) a reasonable security concern, such as an unauthorized use, causes us not to make the payment; or (6) your account is closed; or (7) the AutoPay/SelectPay program has been terminated or suspended.
These terms and conditions do not supersede, modify, or in any way mitigate your obligation to be bound by and comply with all applicable tariffs, rules, or regulations related to your service. KUB SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR FOR THE LOSS OF PROFIT, REVENUE, OR DATA WHICH ARISE FROM OR IS RELATED TO AUTOPAY/SELECTPAY. IN ADDITION, YOU INDEMNIFY AND HOLD KUB HARMLESS FROM ANY ACTIONS, CLAIMS, DAMAGES, LIABILITIES, OR LOSSES ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THE USE OF AUTOPAY/SELECTPAY and any service provided thereunder.
This Agreement shall be construed under the laws of Tennessee. KUB reserves the right to change any terms and conditions of AutoPay/SelectPay. KUB may update or change these Terms and Conditions from time to time. You can review the most current version of the Terms and Conditions at any time. If KUB makes a material change to these Terms and Conditions, we will provide you notice of that change. Updates or changes to the Terms and Conditions will automatically be effective when posted on KUB’s website. Your continued use of this program after any changes in these Terms and Conditions shall constitute your consent to these changes. KUB reserves the right to change, modify, or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the site or any portion thereof, including any and all content contained in the AutoPay/SelectPay program, at any time, without notice. You agree that KUB shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension, or discontinuance of AutoPay/SelectPay or any portion thereof.
Phone: Customer Service – (865) 524-2911
Mail: Knoxville Utilities Board
P. O. Box 59017
Knoxville, TN 37950